When Halloween rolls around, we realize that we’re blessed with a plethora of possibilities for Deranged Crafts. More than any other holiday, disgusting creations are not only acceptable, they’re encouraged. We pore over disembodied meatloaf hands and inevitably consider making a skull out of deli ham; we enter the darkest depths of Pinterest and emerge barely alive.
There are masterfully grotesque pumpkins vomiting guacamole and less masterful bell peppers vomiting spaghetti. No ingredient or dish is spared a depraved treatment, not even the otherwise innocuous crudité platter. Trivial rules about which ingredients go well together are thrown out the window in the pursuit of creating a grisly tableau. Does pumpkin go with guacamole? Do almonds go with ranch dip? It doesn’t matter as long as the guacamole looks convincingly puke-like and the almonds look like browning, grown out fingernails.
One fun idea would be to place this scary hand dip in the center of a large platter of vegetables at your Halloween party. But you could also just put some gourds around it and swathe it in Sriracha and cobwebs and then never look at it again like we did.
1 tub of dip, preferably ranch
5 baby carrots
5 sliced almonds
Sriracha or ketchup
+ Spiderweb decorations
1. Empty your tub of dip into a beautiful bowl that is unaware of the horrors to come.
2. Arrange five baby carrots in the dip so they look like a creepy undead hand emerging from the great beyond.
3. Use toothpicks to apply a dot of dip to each carrot finger, then gently press a sliced almond on each finger, giving your carrot hand a lovely zombie manicure.
4. Squeeze Sriracha or ketchup all over the carrot fingers and dip to add blood/a more complex flavor profile.
5. Elegantly drape cotton spiderweb decorations all over your carrot finger bowl. Feel free to stick a few plastic spiders in there to add even more ambiance. Spooooooooky.
What We Learned
It is surprisingly difficult to suspend things in dip. We’re not sure how so many people on Pinterest made it look so easy. You think you have the chubby little demon fingers arranged just so, and then, sure enough, they begin to sink back slowly into the ranch dressing hell from which they came.