That sound you heard was the entire nation of Italy screaming in horror at the existence of this recipe. But it’s okay: we don’t have to tell them. Eat this as soon as you make it; the sauce doesn’t keep for long.
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 C pecorino romano, grated
- 1/4 C parmesan, grated, plus 2 T for garnish
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, sliced into lardons
- 2 3-oz packages ramen noodles, seasoning packets discarded
- + freshly ground black pepper
Whisk the 2 eggs and both cheeses together in a medium-sized bowl; set aside. Cook the bacon in a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat until crispy and fat is rendered, about 5–7 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
Cook the noodles according to package directions, then drain, reserving pasta water. Add the noodles to the bacon pan, and stir to coat with the fat. Add the cheese mixture and toss together, adding a few splashes of pasta water if necessary to loosen the sauce.
Divide the pasta into two bowls, and top each bowl with an egg yolk. Finish with freshly ground black pepper and parmesan cheese.